CHICAGO BAR Home
Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
General Counsel and Chief Regulatory Officer
Chicago, IL 60606 United States
The General Counsel and Chief Regulatory Officer oversees all legal and regulatory activities of the Exchange, to ensure compliance with regulatory, legal, and internal rules, policies and procedures. The GC/CRO reports to the Chief Operating Officer and to the Regulatory Oversight Committee.
Key responsibilities – General Counsel:
• Exchange Rules & Procedures Development
Maintain the Eris Exchange Rulebook, Market Regulation Department Procedures Manual, and other internal compliance manuals, policies, and procedures.
• Legal Agreements
Draft, review and negotiate legal agreements, including transaction documents, non-disclosure agreements, intellectual property agreements, employment related documents, and other commercial contracts.
• Budget Management
Manage the budget for the Legal & Regulatory functions of the Exchange.
• Audit and Inquiry Response
Respond to internal/external audits and regulatory inquiries/examinations.
• Outside Counsel Management
Coordinate with outside counsel to ensure efficient and effective utilization.
• Intellectual Property Portfolio Management
Steward the Exchange’s portfolio of intellectual property, coordinating with outside counsel to ensure we pursue appropriate protection.
• Regulatory Liaison
Serve as the primary day-to-day contact with CFTC, both in drafting self-certification filings for new Exchange rules and amendments, and responding to inquiries.
• Regulatory Research & Interpretation
Provide summaries of CFTC (and other regulators’) proposed and final rulemakings to the Management Team and business units.
Key responsibilities – Chief Regulatory Officer:
• Market Regulation Oversight
Oversee the Exchange’s market regulation program, including market and trade practice surveillance and coordination with the regulatory services provider.
• Investigations and Prosecutions
Investigate and prosecute violations of the Exchange Rulebook, including drafting investigative reports, conducting on the record testimony, and representing the Exchange in disciplinary proceedings.
Education, training, experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of experience as a practicing attorney with substantial futures, financial markets experience, and/or transactional experience.
• Expertise in the regulation of derivative products and/or the exchange-traded futures markets.
• Prior supervisory and compliance or enforcement experience is highly desirable.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex regulatory issues in a clear, concise manner. Writing sample should be provided with resume.
• The candidate must be willing to roll up their sleeves to perform the broad array of work required at a growing exchange, effectively managing competing, time-sensitive deadlines.
About the Business:
• Headquartered in Chicago with an office in New York, Eris Exchange is a Designated Contract Market (DCM) under the jurisdiction of the CFTC. Eris Exchange contracts are cleared by CME Clearing, the nation’s largest clearing house, with whom Eris Exchange has signed a long-term clearing services agreement.
• Please note that we are not soliciting employment from anyone currently employed by our founding partners, our clearing services provider (CME Clearing) or its parent (CME Group).
Terms & Conditions